Makeup Must-Haves: The Edit



Starting your makeup collection can be a daunting task. Navigating the world of foundation and concealer isn't always easy, some products that are your friend's favourites might not work for you and vice versa. What I enjoy is seeing what other people like and trying it for myself - I have found some fantastic products this way and I thought I would share my current favourites in this post. 

(All About that) BASE

Currently, my foundation choice switches depending on the day, how my skin is looking and feeling as well as how much effort I am willing to put into makeup application. Two products that I have been constantly reaching for over the last six months are: 
  •  It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Illumination This product is amazing. It gives fantastic coverage, while still allowing your skin to show through - howdy freckles! The name really gets it spot on - it's your skin but better! Plus, there is SPF 50+ so this can be your go-to for easy sun protection with a natural finish. 
  • Revlon ColorStay 24hr Combination/Oily This foundation is medium to full, buildable coverage. It blends seamlessly and is super easy to apply, no cakiness here! 24 hr coverage is a bit of stretch if you ask me, but it definitely holds up over the course of the day. 
Sometimes, when I am after the best of both worlds, I mix the It Cosmetics CC Cream and Revlon Colorstay together to create the perfect combination of dewy goodness with flawless coverage.
It Cosmetics CC Cream and Revlon Colorstay Foundation

CONCEALER 

I reckon concealer is completely underestimated. It's the magic wand of makeup application. Not only can it make under eye bags disappear in a matter of seconds, but also banishes pesky pimples. What a legend! Two of my favourite miracle workers are:
  •  Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Concealer As the name suggests, this concealer is lightweight and offers unbelievable coverage. Perfect for under the eyes to brighten the complexion and also works fabulously over blemishes - just be sure to place a tiny bit on the back of your hand and then apply with a finger or different brush to prevent bacteria transfer- we don't want to spread those nasties! 
  • Revlon ColorStay Concealer another fab product from Revlon. This concealer is great for covering blemishes, the only downside is the applicator. I find it a bit stiff making it difficult to apply the product onto the skin. 
Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer

POWDER

Unless you want your foundation to slowly slip off your face during the day,(and who the heck wants that) powdering your face is a must! It reduces shine and increases staying power on temperamental areas like the chin and around the nose. There is a myriad of powders on the market - I always go for translucent ones, so to not add any more coverage on my face. But of course, if you need or want more coverage a tinted powder will do the same job! 
  • Sephora Beauty Amplifier Smoothing & Brightening Powder This was recently recommended to me by a lovely lady at Sephora who insisted that I get this along with the It CC Cream and boy, is she onto something! This powder is so finely milled it's almost creamy, it applies like a breeze and evens out the texture of your skin. Plus, it doesn't collect into pores or laugh lines.   
BROWS AND LASHES

I'm a firm believer that brows and lashes can completely change your appearance. Eyebrows frame and add symmetry to your face. Mascara opens the eyes accentuating their shape. I have had a rocky relationship with my brows, particularly the overfilled-in slug eyebrow saga of 2014 (but we won't go into that now). I now feel like I have a greater understanding of my eyebrows, their shape and position on my face and am able to fill them in without looking perpetually confused or angry. Horray!  
  • Benefit Precisely My Brow Pencil This pencil is a lifesaver. I love it because it has such a fine point which makes it super easy to mimic brow hairs with small strokes. Bonus points are awarded for the eyebrow brush on the other end of the pencil, perfect for combing through the hair after application, which can soften the pigment if you went a little too strong. 
  • Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara Questionable name, unbelievable product. This mascara is seriously volumising and lengthening. At first, I was hesitant as I found the formula quite sticky, however after the product oxidises, it goes onto the lash much easier and transforms them with oodles of volume and length. It will look like you're wearing falsies when you're not. What a trickster! 
Better than Sex Mascara and Benefit Precisely My Brow Pencil 

CHEEKS

To add dimension and depth to your complexion; bronzer, highlight and blush are your best friends. I find the whole contouring trend scary and using bronzer to define my face is far more achievable in my everyday routine. Along with bronzer, I like to apply a light dusting of blush/highlighter on the cheekbones- it says 'put together' without being too OTT! 
  • Revlon Sculpt and Highlight Contour Kit The palette does the highlight and contour shades really well, however, I have been constantly reaching for the bronzer. It's the perfect warmth for fair skin types and blends so easily onto the skin. The kit is available in two shades -Light/Medium (that's me) and Medium/Dark. 
  • Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette A luxury item but definitely worth the investment.This trio of setting powders are multi-use magnificence. Radiant light and Incandescent light can be used all over the face for a subtle glow and Dim Light (as blush) added to the tops of the cheekbones, just above where you place the bronzer to create sunkissed radiance. 
Revlon Contour Kit


xo A. 
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Comments

Popular Posts